14 January, 2008

trials + tribulations

so! it's taken me all day long to find a reliable internet source with which to get EVERYTHING DONE that I've needed to get done all weekend. (emails, course lists, flat rental, and of course blog) this day has been an exercise in patience. holy moses. I tried to get online at the school, but was curtly informed by the librarian that the wireless was unoperational for the day. he was a terrible stereotype of a librarian too, old, wrinkly, smelly, and greasy, with glasses perched on the tip of his nose and really bad teeth. (no offense, aunt Peggy) then, I walked to a small cafe around the corner and asked the girl at the till about internet. "of course!" she replied, but when I asked for a password she only shrugged. so of course, there was no available wireless signal. the poor girl spoke mostly Polish (but that is something I'll talk more about later) then I found my way to an internet cafe but they wouldn't let me use my laptop. THEN I found another cafe with a wireless sign in the window, but I had to buy something, and I had to register. nice enough, I could only use the bloody web for 20 controlled minutes at a time unless I wanted to buy something ELSE after every 20 minutes. no thanks! how much orange juice can one girl drink? the manager was quite irritated that all I bought was an orange juice but sucks to him anyway. now I find myself in a little web cafe that will let me use wireless for 2 euro an hour. (now of course my battery is almost gone hahaha)

on the very bright side, it's been sunny and raining all day long so while on the bus, I saw the most magnificent rainbow! It was HUGE! not only that, it streched from one side of the sky to the other, like you see in drawings and stuff. and it was really wide! so that was pretty nice.

the radios here play a lot of pop and that kind of thing, but it's sort of cool because they play a lot of canadian artists (sam roberts, arcade fire, feist) and yesterday I heard the rasmus! hahaha go figure, eh steph? also I hear a deathly amount of kelly clarkson, so I bring my iPod everywhere I go.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ohhh those smelly old men...

Markus said...

sunshine
lollipops
& rainbows
everything is sure to come your way!