12 January, 2008

"yes, chicken?"

So I’ve made my first successful shopping trip! Anne let me know that the shop at the top of Beaumont Avenue (to the East) is much more expensive than the Super Valu at the bottom, although the Super Valu is twice the distance. Still, it’s worth it for the price. I was shocked when I got outside, as Anne had said it was pretty cold out. It was a balmy 6 degrees! I was too warm in my jacket and scarf. I thought it very strange that men walking towards you on the sidewalk will not move to the outer edge closest to traffic (like they tend to do in Canada). Instead, they nearly hug the stone wall to the inside as you pass. Anyway, I perused the grocery store aisles in wonder at the brands and products and kosher corner, but easily found shampoo (Sunsilk!) and other things. There were very few canned items: peas, ‘mushy peas’ and thirty varieties of baked beans. I thought it was hilarious that the canned food brand is called ‘Batchelor’s,’ and the equivalent to No Name is called ‘Nice Price.’

The neighbour lady, Celine, is here quite often, and she’s nuts for Bailey. Hilda told me when I arrived that she’d be over, and quite sadly indicated that she’d had polio as a child. I had no idea what that would mean until I met Celine, who speaks quite loudly and is difficult to understand, and has a heavy limp in her right leg. She’s fantastic because she uses ridiculous Irish phrases that crack me up. For instance, she calls me ‘chicken’ always, which I guess is slang for young lady (I hope).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

beans make you poop!

Anonymous said...

I had a kindergarten student who said I was growing like a chicken, so maybe thats what he meant?

although...he was from Kuwait, not Ireland.