it has been a mighty productive couple of days! I've been busy getting all sorts of documentation and stuff arranged in order to work legally here in Ireland, as well as study with a DIT student card, and register for classes. I had to wait in line for a pps number, and was sort of worried because the american guys had had a real hassle trying to get theirs. apparently though there's some sort of american work ban in existence that was lifted just recently so that sort of explains their problems. fortunately dan was able to find a position at a fitness centre. the two were worried that they'd have to go back to the states as they couldn't find work. I also had to go into a garda station in order to register myself as a neighbourhood resident. they like to keep a good thumb on citizens here I've noticed, but that is mostly due to problems still with rioting and that sort of thing with the ira, and protesters regarding the current influx of migrant workers. ireland has shown me a whole new kind of social hierarchy and stereotyping that didn't exist strongly in canada, especially in referance to poorer european nations, nations involved in war or conflict, or non-english speaking nations. crazy! all I have left to do now is get an extended-resident stamp on my passport from the garda on the liffey. that is for tomorrow!
I also got a motherload of shopping done yesterday. this was not just recreational shopping, I promise you! this was purposeful! as everyone knows, one must spend money in order to make money. so now I have work-appropriate pants and shoes :) I trekked around above the liffey all morning long, hopped up on really strong coffee that dan brews in the morning. so picture a frenzied, caffienated me, rushing about in shopping heaven. where is this shopping heaven, you ask? PENNEY'S. penney's is the mecca for all spendthrift, trendy shoppers out there. trendthrift? think H&M type styles, pottery barn linens and home accessories, all with ikea-bargains pricing!!! so it's a sort of excellent department store. I love it. I was able to get linen pants, wonderful little flats, towels, clothes hangers, linens, pillows, the cutest cardigan you've EVER SEEN (I swear this to be true) socks and stockings, and a decorative vanilla scented candle (in order to drown out the boys and their cologne) all under one roof! all for less than 60 euro!!! YAYYYY oh and also, to all my lovely-bigfoots out there, you've probably heard my rant about my animal feet. well bless ireland, I am a size 8 shoe. and leave me to my blissful ignorance, I know that I still have size 10s in north america. I should buy some size 6 mens shoes while I'm here.
I was also finally able to get to a pharmacy for things like soap and razors and those little things that a person doesn't miss until she is without them. oh and as it turns out, a pack of disposable razors and a can of shave gel costs more than that fancy veet stuff with the razorless-razor . . . which, to my surprise, works REALLY REALLY WELL. and does not give me little cuts on my ankles.
I am sad today because Jeff moved out. he was the housemate from dubai and was also a ton of fun. in his place we got this italian guy named ricardo. he is quite nice and understands english very well, but is a bit typical in that he likes to sit at the kitchen table skyping his friends very loudly and thinks that we girls are there to pick up his dishes. he will become disillusioned quickly.
22 January, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
60 euros?!?
That's like 100 dollars!!!
Darn those Europeans and their deceptive currency...
Hopefully he is a delightful Italian stereotype.. not the un-delightful type with rat tails and greasiness....lol!
Post a Comment