so I've attended my final Irish Cultural Studies class ever. SO SAD. it's odd how people get into nice routines and then cling to their familiar comforts. one of mine has been this friday class, starting at nine. this would usually mean death, as the kevin street campus takes ages to get to and I hate mornings, but this class was so enjoyable that I made it usually on time. the best part, though, was my stop at the bald barista following class. I am perfectly capable of cutting out novelty costs and budgeting (sort of), example, I can go for weeks without buying toothpaste as I squeeze the ever-loving last drop out of the tube, I can give up milk and apples and meat and subsist on a leftover baguette, I can even walk the half-hour to school when I don't have change for the bus . . . but don't you DARE ask me to give up my friday latte! thursday evening you will find me overturning seat cushions, emptying handbags, rummaging through boxes and rattling jars to find enough five- and ten-cent pieces to buy my delicious €3 coffee at 11am from buzz fendall, a.k.a. zee bald barista. in fact I finished this weeks' about a half hour ago. as I sucked the last few drops through the plastic lid, a random man walking past said 'are you enjoying your coffee today?' and I said 'absolutely, it's the highlight of my week!' and don't you know that he beelined right into the shop. I take the business cards and use them as bookmarks in library books. I take the matchbooks and hand them out to regulars at the seabank who need a light. I am the unofficial spokesperson for this coffee and I don't even mind doing free publicity because it is just that gorgeous! especially when every other cup of coffee in this city is like something you dug out of the sewer behind starbucks. double ick.
last weekend I had a night off (oh joy!) and so I resigned myself to sleeping in, relaxing, maybe having a tea and enjoying this little break before exams. tea in hand, slippers on feet, I flicked on the tv. lo and behold, channel six was playing my all-time favourite hepburn flick: charade! I can remember watching this movie as a kid. my mom had taped it off tvo or something and it was a big thrill for me watching carey and audrey hopping around paris, fighting bad guys, solving the mystery and, oddly enough, eating in nearly every scene. I was super glad too, that channel six edited out the image of poor tex suffocated behind a plastic bag. I used to have to bury my head in the couch during that part. as a kid I thought that carey grant was perfectly justified in giving false names throughout the film. now I figure that, if some mystery man I met in paris did the same thing, I'd probably change my own name and move to sweden. naturally.
25 April, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment